The concept of infoxication affects mainly Internet users and knowledge professionals, so it can be ensured that few people can get rid of this phenomenon. The definition of infoxication would be the overload or excess of information caused by the profusion of content on the network.
In general, a victim of infoxication suffers from confusion, overwhelm and paralysis due to the high volume of data and information. It is considered the disease of the digital society.
Infoxication occurs because we collect more information than is really necessary, which on occasions has neither been requested nor is useful. The search for information is done with the aim of verifying that what we really say is true or to justify decision-making. The fact that there is an amount of information about something makes us think that something is more real.
The volume of information does not stop growing on the Internet, but that does not imply that it contributes to aggravating the problem. Hence, it is important to control the flow of information.
Symptoms of infoxication
If you notice any of the following symptoms, you may suffer from this problem:
- Burden or stress from consuming a high volume of data.
- Assume information that is not verified.
- Addiction to the consumption of content on social networks.
- Problems creating your own opinion on a topic.
How to avoid infoxication?
There is a very simple way to deal with infoxication and it is by following these recommendations:
- Choose few and good sources of information: when you resort to several, you will most likely end up poisoning yourself.
- Train yourself and create your own criteria: the more prepared you are, the easier it will be to build your own criteria on a subject and you will not believe the first thing they tell you.
- Disconnect frequently: do something that has nothing to do with what you were doing when you notice a blockage.
- Disable notifications from mobile applications: they manage to distract us when we are immersed in any activity. Set some hours to consult them.
- Filter your connections on social networks: eliminate those friends who only talk about things that do not interest you or that they do spam of a product.