The definition of internal communication is the communication directed to the worker or employee of the company. It was born with the intention of providing answers to the needs of companies to motivate the human team and retain the best in an environment where changes are constant.
This communication system informs about what happens within the organization, motivates and establishes an effective line of contact between the management, the employed workers and the different areas.
Among other things, internal communication in organizations helps to:
- Deepening the knowledge of the entity.
- Build a climate of trust and motivation within the company.
- Unite independent departments in theory.
- Inform employees individually.
- Publish the successes of the company.
- Facilitate communication at all levels.
Internal communication tools
Internal communication is divided into two types. Upward communication, which is that which is done from the bottom up in the hierarchy, and downward communication, from the top down. Depending on this, different communication tools will be used.
Examples of internal downward communication include:
- Internal periodic
- Notice boards
- Open days
- Information meetings
- Letter to staff
- Individual interview
For their part, the internal upward communication tools are:
- Suggestion program
- By mail
- Suggestions mailbox
- Section in the internal newspaper
Other examples of internal communication that can take advantage of companies:
- Billboards: it is an effective and very old means of communication. It must be placed in a place where the personnel can move. The content must be neat and can be read quickly and easily.
- Welcome notebook: a material that collects history, business organization chart and internal rules of the company, which will serve the new workers who join.
- Style manuals: systematized guides of institutional procedures that include organizational and technical information.
- Brochures: design practical leaflets showing internal awareness campaigns.
- Open line: telephone line where workers can leave their suggestions and questions on an answering machine.
To carry out a correct management of the internal communication of the company, it is necessary to carry out an internal communication plan where all the strategy and actions are reflected in order to improve the information flows of the organization.
Internal communication plan