What Is the Silver Standard?

The silver standard is a monetary system in which the standard economic unit of account is a fixed weight of silver. The silver standard was widespread from the fall of the Byzantine Empire until the twentieth century. A silver standard typically involves the circulation of silver coins, or the issuance of silver bullion in exchange for paper currency. Under a silver standard, the value of a currency is defined in terms of silver, and silver coins can be redeemed for physical silver bullion. What is the symbol of pure silver? The symbol for pure silver is Ag, which is its atomic symbol. What is pure silver called? Pure silver is called "fine silver." It is 99.9% pure silver, with the other 0.1% being trace impurities. Fine silver is the purest form of silver that is commercially available. What does 925 mean on silver? The number 925 is a standard stamp used to indicate the purity of silver. It means that the piece is 92.5% pure silver, and the other 7.5% is made up of other metals (usually copper). How is silver measured? Silver is typically measured in troy ounces or grams. What is the grading of silver? There are several different grades of silver, depending on the purity of the metal. The most common grades are sterling silver, fine silver, and coin silver.

Sterling silver is the most common grade, and is 92.5% pure silver. Fine silver is 99.9% pure silver, and is used injewelry and other high-end applications. Coin silver is 90% pure silver, and is often used in making silver coins.