The concept of usability is used frequently in the field of technology and computing. It comes from usability and means the ease with which a user can use a tool made by other people in order to achieve a goal.
Specifically, we are going to focus on the term web accessibility, which is one of the most important principles when designing and creating a web page. This is supposed to be done by and for the user. Among other things, it is linked to simplicity, comfort, ease and practicality.
Principles of web usability
Web usability also requires reviewing a series of aspects associated with the use and the way in which people relate to the systems that are provided. The website must facilitate that the user can fulfill her tasks in the best possible way. The main characteristics of web usability are the following:
- Useful: Ask yourself if the products and systems are useful, in addition to developing our knowledge to establish innovative solutions that support usefulness.
- Desirable: web pages must be efficient, with the use of complex media such as sounds, images or animations. This should be balanced and consistent with the rest of the site design. Additionally, this can increase conversion rate considerably.
- Usable: refers to ease of use. Although it is important, it must also be complemented by the rest of the aspects.
- Accessible: the web pages have to be as accessible as possible to people with some kind of disability.
- Credibility: try to be as credible as possible. It is a value to take into account. Hence, it is convenient to review the design elements that influence the trust that users have in us.
- Value: offer something valuable to the reader.
Examples of usability include the website www.regalador.com, where the navigation menus are designed for the customer since it allows the articles to be easily found through their interests. Also, the descriptions and colors make it easy to identify the different areas.